Sunday, April 20, 2014

investments.

"This is the pond," he drew an imaginary circle with his arms. "in the pond there are both big fishes and small ones."

"When there is food, the big fishes usually get most of it because they are more powerful. the small fishes usually get just enough to get by.

No one knows if the bread throwers just wants to get rid of bread or wants to net the fishes. However, the bad bread throwers usually use small nets and are never really able to catch the big ones.

As the small fish, if you try to compete with the big ones, you take a higher risk with smaller returns.

If the bread throwers don't visit the pond in a few weeks, the fishes that rely on them for food will die. Both big and small, for they have eaten bread for so long they cannot accept weed anymore."

I glanced up. Thinking that the story was pretty much over. It wasn't.

"We, my son, are small fishes," said my dad, "and small fishes have to live their own way."

"Even though the bread is tastier, you don't always get away with it, you take larger risks for small rewards" he continued.

"Eat weed. There is always weed on the pond floor. If you fall in love with the taste of bread, you'll always be competing with the big fishes and you're always on the losing end."

He paused. Pondering what to say to conclude his analogy.

"But if you stick with eating weed, you'll never have to rely on anything else to survive."

"But what reward do I get if I eat weed for my whole life, never knowing the taste of bread?" I asked.

He looked at me, decades of experience more than me.

"You get to live content with what you have, and that is enough."

No comments: