Wednesday, October 22, 2014

“Ghosts? Can you believe that people still buy into that? After the human race has advanced so far that we have reached Mars and explored the universe, you still believe in ghosts? After we’ve managed to communicate in split seconds across the globe and travelled faster than the speed of sound, you still believe in ghosts? Believe in science, believe in nature, question yourself, ask for proof, search for the truth.”

My dad looked at me incredulously; he couldn’t believe that people still bought into the supernatural crap.

“People are ignorant, they get scared at the unknown, and they prey on each other’s fears. The only thing to fear in this world isn’t ghosts; it’s the people yet to become them. Humans are the scariest things you’ll ever meet.”

My mind wandered to a few weeks back when Yun and I made a trip down on a Friday evening to the Science Centre for stargazing.

How many people can say they’ve seen the planet Saturn with their own eyes? I have.

Technology has allowed me to view a planet millions of miles away from myself. And I have the audacity to believe in ghosts?

That was the last time I believed in their existence. Don’t get me wrong, I am not unafraid. The humans are scarier.

Looking back, at the moment I looked into the telescope lens, I suddenly felt how small I was in this big world. My existence felt as insignificant as an ant in a plantation full of trees. But that didn’t mean that I cannot be happy or enjoy everything I want, it doesn’t hamper my ambition or restrict my dreams and it certainly didn’t make me sad. I have a life of my own that doesn’t depend on the size of the plantation I live in. I am myself; I am free to be who I want to be, to live how I want to live.


I am small to the world but I am big to myself.

No comments: